Jeremy Herrington

jeremy1May 9, 1978 – August 11, 1998

Things started on August 9th 1998, Jeremy, his girlfriend, Shannon, and his sister, Jolene, came back from the demolition derby at the local fair. He was complaining of a slight headache so he took a few aspirins and went to bed. The next morning I got a call that he was running a fever. I left work and went right home. I got him out to the living room , and called the hospital. They said to give him Tylenol. I did, and also put cold wet rags on his head and fans by him. He stayed in the chair. I got him something to eat, but he got sick ever time he tried to eat. I asked Jeremy if he wanted to go to the hospital. He say, No, I’ll be fine.” At 20 you can’t argue much.

He then said he had to go to the bathroom. He started to walk and about fell into the china cabinet. I yelled out his name, and got a hold of him and helped him to the bathroom. I got him inside then stepped outside the door. Then I heard a bang. I went back in, and he had fallen into the tub. I told Jeremy that I was taking him to the hospital. He said me he felt as if he were drunk. I got him to the couch and was getting his shoes on, and he got mad and threw them off his feet. I said, “Well then you will go without them.” We about had to carry him to the car. He didn’t want to go, and he then wanted to drive himself there. I said, “Jeremy, you can’t.” I told my daughter, Jolene, to get a pillow, and put it in the back of the car. Then to go in and call the hospital, and tell them we were on our way, and we were going to need help.

When we got there of course there was no one waiting to help. I had to go get them and a wheelchair. When we got him inside, he got sick all over the place. They got him in a bed and hooked him up to IV’s. He was clear enough then that he signed himself in, and could tell them everything they wanted to know.

I stayed for awhile and asked him if he wanted me to stay or would he be alright if I went to work. He said, ” I’ll be fine.” I said, “Ok, I’ll be here first thing the morning.”

I was called at 6 am to get there as fast as I could because they were shipping him out. I called home and told my husband to get to the hospital, and that I was on my way. When I got there I went into the room and called his name. He looked at me.

That was the last time I was to see his eyes open. The ambulance came and took him, and we followed them. The next time we saw him they had him all hooked up to all sorts of machines. This is the way he stayed, until he died August 11, 1998.

The ICU ward was just crammed with so many kids. Jeremy was a very well liked young man. He had plans to get married the following year. Jeremy and his cousin were starting there own masonry business.

Jeremy was an organ donor and helped save a 6-year-old little boy who only had a few days to live without the transplant. These people have blessed us with letting me be in there lives as a friend. It has helped me a great deal.

If things were done right this never would have happened I was told this by another doctor who helped me get through this whole ordeal in one piece. I have had a lot to go through in my head. As I was told by family you can’t do that.

God bless you all. My heart goes out to everyone who has had to go through this.

Family and friends of Jeremy – Trisha Dials, Shannon Collin, Jolene