Max Malyuta

coupleOctober 18, 1981 to March 24, 2007

Max was 25 years old when his life was taken from him too soon. April of 2001 Max came here to live after living his whole life in Birobidzhan, Russia. For only being here six years he touched so many lives. Max came here with his father while his sister and mother stayed behind in Russia so his sister could finish college. Max worked 60 hours a week to help pay for his sister to go to school and to help support his mom back in Russia. He didn’t complain once. Max was the fourth best chess player in Rhode Island and played in many big tournaments such as the World Open in Philadelphia.

Max and I met on January 25, 2006. We met online and were together almost everyday from our first date. We fell in love very quickly. Max treated me like a princess. He was wonderful and always made sure I was taken care of. Max had many plans. We were going to buy a house and then open our own daycare center. On Christmas Eve 2006 Max proposed to me. We had planned to marry in May of 2008. We couldn’t wait to have a family and start our lives together.

One night, on a Wednesday, Max started to get sick. I had called him from work to see if he wanted to come and visit me, but he said he wasn’t feeling well and would see me when I got home. When I got home he had a temperature of 101.6. I gave him some over the counter pain reliever and we went to sleep. The next morning I tried to give him some soup but he couldn’t keep anything down. I figured he just had the flu. I asked if he wanted to go see a doctor. He said “No, I will be fine.” Max said he had a slight headache and just felt sick, so I made him some tea and said try to keep fluids down and get some rest. I had to go to work. When I got home at 2:30 I made him some soup and gave him some more liquids. Max was able to keep this down, later that night his fever broke. I said, “Oh good he must be getting better”. That night was the worst night for his vomiting. We were both awake all night. I tried to get him to go to the doctor again but he didn’t have health insurance so he wouldn’t go. The next morning he got up to use the bathroom and was having a hard time walking. He said I am just weak. I started to cry and said, “Max please go to the doctor I am worried about you.” He said “Meg please don’t cry, I hate when you cry, especially over me.” He said, “I will be fine.” My parents were off that day I asked them to keep an eye on him to make sure he was ok. My mother had made him soup and he ate it, went to take a nap. While he was sleeping my mom took his blood pressure and called me because it was so low. I came home right away and said I am taking him to the hospital. I went in my room to wake him up and he wouldn’t. I kept calling his name and he wouldn’t respond. I yelled for my dad to call 911 and the ambulance rushed him to the hospital.

When we got to the hospital they intubated him right away and started testing him. They gave him a spinal tap and told me they thought it was bacterial meningitis. They said they needed to find the bacteria in order to treat him properly. He was already on about 8 antibiotics trying to reduce the swelling in his brain. About 10 pm the doctor came out and told us they thought he might be brain dead. He had two cat scans that showed no brain activity and he hadn’t responded to any tests or treatments they had done on him so far. The doctors said they would wait over night to see how Max responded to the antibiotics over night. All night we had to be masks and gowns to go see him. March 24, 2007 they turned the machine off and I had to hold his hand and watch him leave my life forever. I couldn’t even kiss him goodbye because I had to wear the stupid mask. I wish I would have gotten him to the doctor sooner. I miss him everyday.

Please take this time and remember a wonderful man. My fiancé Max Malyuta 10/18/1981-3/24/07. You will not be forgotten hunny!!! I love you with all my heart forever.